7/18/11

fiction

I seem to be both a theoretical philosopher and a fiction writer. But it is the last that interests me most; the first is only the means to the last; the absolutely necessary means, but only the means; the fiction story is the end. Without an understanding and statement of the right philosophical principle, I cannot create the right story; but the discovery of the proper knowledge to be used for my life purpose; and my life purpose is the creation of the kind of world (people and events) that I like—that is, that represents human perfection....This is why, I think, the idea of writing a philosophical nonfiction book bored me. In such a book, the purpose would actually be to teach others, to present my idea to them. In a book of fiction the purpose is to create, for myself, the kind of world I want and to live in it while I am creating it; then, as a secondary consequence, to let others enjoy this world, if, and to the extent that they can.
                               - Introduction; Atlas Shrugged, 6. Ayn Rand.
--

There are times when a fictional work is actually more factual. One can take it to a literary or a contingent sense, but the great and beautiful thing about fiction is how the mind can enter such new realm where one can experience something unique and interesting. When I read fiction, the ideas that raises are new and worth thinking about, the endless possibilities teaches not only creativity but also the lovely bearing of existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment