7/1/11

When I Met My Muse || William Stafford

I glanced at her and took my glasses
off--they were still singing. They buzzed
like a locust on the coffee table and then
ceased. Her voice belled forth, and the
sunlight bent. I felt the ceiling arch, and
knew that nails up there took a new grip
on whatever they touched. "I am your own
way of looking at things," she said. "When
you allow me to live with you, every
glance at the world around you will be
a sort of salvation." And I took her hand.

--

I liked how the world of the speaker had changed upon watching and hearing his new found muse sing, but the starting of the quotation threw me off a bit. It seems a bit uneeded since we are told that the speaker's view of the world had completely changed even before the quoted lines, so it wasn't really necessary

I do like how the opening lines showed how the speaker would prefer to see the new muse naturally with his own eyes and not with the help of lenses. And how the ceiling, the sunlight, changed their course, as if gravity is pulling everything down with him, as his muse's voice richochets in his chest like a hum trapped inside a bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment